About the Corporation of the Seven Wardens and Kipling Camps

Receiving an engineer’s iron ring is a longstanding Canadian tradition dating back almost 100 years.  The idea was originally conceived by seven past presidents of the Engineering Institute of Canada who formed The Corporation of the Seven Wardens and became the wardens of the first Camp.  Candidates attend special ceremonies called The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer organized by Camps across Canada during which they receive an iron ring as a reminder of an obligation they undertake to uphold a high standard of professional conduct.  As described on the Corporation’s web site: “The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer has been instituted with the simple end of directing the newly qualified engineer toward a consciousness of the profession and its social significance and indicating to the more experienced engineer their responsibilities in welcoming and supporting the newer engineers when they are ready to enter the profession.

Camps have been established at many locations in Canada in close proximity to those institutions providing university degree programs in engineering, and conduct ceremonies for those about to enter the profession, or others who have recently entered the profession.  Camp #4 was established in Saskatchewan by authority of the Corporation of the Seven Wardens and conducted their first ceremony in Regina in 1928.  Camp #4 has conducted ceremonies in Saskatoon since 1929, and in Regina for graduates of the university there until 1998 when the Corporation approved the establishment of Camp #25 in Regina.  Camp #4 continues to serve candidates from the University of Saskatchewan and other engineers in this area.

Note: that Camp #4 is an independent organization and there is no formal relationship between Camp #4 and either the University of Saskatchewan or the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan.  Information about ceremonies and obtaining a replacement ring is provided elsewhere on this site, and inquiries should be addressed to Camp #4.